CBD Infused Creme and Caramel Egg Brownies
By Love Hemp Ambassador @pescatarianldn
Spring has sprung, the clocks have gone back and the sun has started to show it’s face. With the potential loosening of the lockdown restriction in the UK, I started to think about share-worthy recipes to make over the bank holiday. I could think of nothing that beats brownies for sharing; CBD ones at that! Usually, my Easter brownies would contain mini eggs but a creme or caramel egg as a topping gives that extra gooey satisfaction.
As a child, Easter was all about chocolate aside from the obvious religious celebrations! Not much has changed since then, every year I look forward to indulging in creme eggs. Now I know creme eggs, in a similar way to marmite, can be a little controversial. Personally, I adore them but there are a few people in the family that much prefer caramel eggs which is why you will notice that a couple of the brownies are topped with caramel.
Supposedly 500million creme eggs are produced every year which is extraordinary, albeit unsurprising if people are anything like me! I’ve popped to the shop on multiple occasions, just to get more. Indulgent, fudgey, CBD brownies topped with a Cadbury creme egg what more could you ask for, this Easter?!
INGREDIENTS (9 large sized brownies)
160g Unsalted Butter
150g Love Hemp CBD Chocolate Balls (c.17mg of CBD per brownie)
3 Free Range Eggs
130g Plain Flour
1tsp Vanilla Essence
85g Cocoa Powder
380g Light Brown Sugar
5 Caramel or Cream Eggs
- Place the butter and Love Hemp Chocolate Bites, in a heat-proof bowl and melt over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir often until the chocolate is completely melted and glossy in texture, then set aside to cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar separately until combined, trying not to over whisk and create bubbles as they will expand inside when heated in the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, vanilla essence and salt. Fold in the chocolate mixture and finally the egg mixture. At this stage it should be really thick.
- Preheat the oven to 150°c and line a baking tin (10” x 8” or 13” x 9” tins work well) with parchment paper. Scrape the mixture into the the tin and cook for 40-45 mins. Use a toothpick to test if the brownies are ready. The brownies will need more time if the toothpick comes out wet. They are perfectly cooked when the toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.
- Meanwhile cut the creme eggs in half using a sharp knife. When the brownies are cooked and out of the oven use the back of a teaspoon to indent a space for each half of the creme eggs and gently press the eggs into the brownie. There will be one half leftover to eat while you wait for the brownies to cool.
- Let the brownies cool in the tin for 15 mins and then on a cooling rack until completely cool, at least an hour before slicing. Cut the brownies into 9.
- Resist the urge to cut the brownies before the have completely cooled. I have made this mistake before as its so hard to fight the urge but if you wait then your brownies will slice cleanly and will be at optimum fudgynes (I leave them for 1-2 hours)
- This recipe also works with the addition of up to 10ml of CBD liquid oil drops, should you want to increase the amount of CBD.